My passion is working with people who stutter and since 2005 that is what I have donein my private practice. I work at Chapman University in Orange where I am a clinical supervisor as well as Professor of Fluency Disorders.
I have been involved in research examining the use of medication to assist with treatment of stuttering at the University of California, Irvine. Currently I am involved in international research examining differences in early identification factors of stuttering.
I am very active in professional organizations such as the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) where I am a member of Special Interest Group 4 (Fluency Disorders), and the California Speech and Hearing Association (CSHA) where I am on the Advisory Committee for District 8 and hold the position of Legislation/ Government Relations.
I am actively involved in FRIENDS (National Association of Young People Who Stutter) where I organize one-day conferences and have presented multiple times at their national conference. Together with Chapman, The Stuttering Foundation and FRIENDS, we host annual one-day conferences every year for people who stutter, their families and therapists.
I have presented for the National Stuttering Association (NSA) at their regional conference and presented for them a one-day CEU course on fluency disorders and treatment options. Recently I presented at CSHA on the topic of language and fluency disorders as well as presented research in stuttering identification. I am on the referral list for the Stuttering Foundation of America as a preferred therapy provider. : I am a co-founder of the Camp SAY West Coast, a weekend camp for children who stutter which will be held in Irvine, California October 20-22, 2017.
B.A., Speech Pathology and Audiology
California State University, Chico
M.S., Communication Sciences & Disorders
San Francisco State University
District 8 advisory committee member, California Speech-Language Hearing Association
Adjunct faculty, Communication Sciences & Disorders, Chapman University
Conference coordinator, FRIENDS | The National Organization of Young People Who Stutter
CEU provider and speaker, National Stuttering Association
Preferred provider, The Stuttering Foundation
Publications and presentations
- Self- Advocacy in Action; an interactive workshop, FRIENDS One-Day Conference, Chapman University, Orange, CA, April 2017
- Keeping up with SLP evidence based practice, Expert panel on Stuttering and Evidence based practice, Chapman University, Orange, CA, October 2016
- Self-Advocacy: How to help without hindering. Speech Language Pathologists and Social Workers working together, NASW California Annual Conference, Burbank, CA, October 2016
- Stuttering and Self Advocacy; How to help without hindering. Speech Pathologist and LCSW’s working together, NSA National Conference/ ISA World Congress for People who Stutter, Atlanta, GA, July 2016
- Stuttering and Self Advocacy; How to help without hindering from the perspective of a Speech-Language Pathologist and LCSW, CSHA Conference, Chapman University, Anaheim, CA, May 2016
- Feelings, knowledge and delay – preliminary results from an international parental survey on childhood stuttering, Swedish conference on Fluency Disorders, May 2016
- It was just so nice to be me today, Stuttertalk episode 572, March 2016
- McGill, L. & O’Connor, N.; Self-Advocacy: How to Help Without Hindering, ISAD Online Conference, October 2015
- Self-Advocacy: How to Help Without Hindering, FRIENDS One-Day Conference, Chapman University, Orange, CA, April 2015
- Yes, But They Still Stutter in Conversation, CSHA Conference, Long Beach, CA, March 2015
- Who saw it and who did something about it, CSHA Conference, Long Beach, CA, March 2015
- Defining Factors and Success in Fluency Therapy, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, October 2014
- Yes, But They Still Stutter in Conversation, NSA Fall Regional Conference, Anaheim, CA, October 2014
- Self-Advocacy: How to Help Without Hindering, NSA Fall Regional Conference, Anaheim, CA, October 2014
- Dating and Stuttering, FRIENDS One-Day Conference, Chapman University, Orange, CA, February 2012
- Maguire, G.A.; Franklin, D.L.; Glyndon, G.D; Maguire, G.E.; Ortiz, T.; Maguire, M.E.; Plon, L.; Johnson, T.M.; Nguyen, C.T.; Yu, B.P; Plon, L.R.; Gottschalk, L.; Olanzapine in the Treatment of Adult Developmental Stuttering: A Double–blind, Placebo-controlled Trial, American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, May 2002
- Maguire, G.A.; Franklin, D.L.; Glyndon, G.D; Maguire, G.E.; Ortiz, T.; Maguire, M.E.; Plon, L.; Johnson, T.M.; Nguyen, C.T.; Yu, B.P; Plon, L.R.; Gottschalk, L.; Olanzapine in the Treatment of Adult Developmental Stuttering: A Double–blind, Placebo-controlled Trial, Academy of Clinical Neuro Psychopharmacology Annual Meeting, Waikoloa, HI, December 2001